Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:AEPVM (acute exudative polymorphous vitelliform maculopathy), BCVA (best-corrected visual acuity), CSC (central serous chorioretinopathy), ERK (extracellular signal-regulated kinase), logMAR (logarithm of the minimum angle of resolution), MAPK (mitogen-activated protein kinase), MEK (mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase), RPE (retinal pigment epithelium), VA (visual acuity)
- MEK and the inhibitors: from bench to bedside.J Hematol Oncol. 2013; 6: 27-37
- A molecular biology and phase II trial of lapatinib in children with refractory CNS malignancies: a pediatric brain tumor consortium study.J Neurooncol. 2013; 114: 173-179
- Can binimetinib, encorafenib and masitinib be more efficacious than currently available mutation-based targeted therapies for melanoma treatment?.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2017; 18: 487-495
- Binimetinib versus dacarbazine in patients with advanced NRAS-mutant melanoma (NEMO): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 435-445
- Prediction of human pharmacokinetics of ulixertinib, a novel ERK1/2 inhibitor from mice, rats, and dogs pharmacokinetics.Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 2018; 43: 453-460
- First-in-class ERK1/2 inhibitor ulixertinib (BVD-523) in patients with MAPK mutant advanced solid tumors: results of a phase I dose-escalation and expansion study.Cancer Discov. 2018; 8: 184-195
- MEK inhibitor-associated retinopathy (MEKAR) in metastatic melanoma: long-term ophthalmic effects.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 65: 130-138
- Transient MEK inhibitor-associated retinopathy in metastatic melanoma.Ann Oncol. 2014; 25: 1437-1441
- MEK inhibitors: a new class of chemotherapeutic agents with ocular toxicity.Eye (Lond). 2015; 29: 1003-1012
- Bilateral subfoveal neurosensory retinal detachment associated with MEK inhibitor use for metastatic cancer.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014; 132: 1005-1009
- Subretinal fluid associated with MEK inhibitor use in the treatment of systemic cancer.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016; 134: 855-862
- Bilateral multifocal central serous-like chorioretinopathy due to MEK inhibition for metastatic cutaneous melanoma.Case Rep Ophthalmol Med. 2013; 2013: 673796-673799
- Ocular toxicity in metastatic melanoma patients treated with mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase inhibitors: a case series.Am J Ophthalmol. 2015; 160: 959-967.e1
- A phase I clinical study with investigational compound LTT462 in adult patients with specific advanced cancers.(Available at:)https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT02711345Date accessed: March 15, 2021
- A case of extracellular signal-regulated kinase inhibitor-associated retinopathy.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020; 138: 1002-1004
- Clinical and morphologic characteristics of MEK inhibitor-associated retinopathy: differences from central serous chorioretinopathy.Ophthalmology. 2017; 124: 1788-1798
- Loss of MAPK pathway activation in post-mitotic retinal cells as mechanism in MEK inhibition-related retinopathy in cancer patients.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e3457
- Idiopathic acute exudative polymorphous vitelliform maculopathy: clinical spectrum and multimodal imaging characteristics.Ophthalmology. 2018; 125: 75-88
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
All authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE disclosures form.
Financial Disclosure(s): The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s):
J.J.H.: Consultant – Bristol Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly, Exelexis, Eisai, QED, CytomX, Adaptimmune, Zymeworks, Imvax, Merck; Financial support – Bristol Myers Squibb
E.L.D.: Editorial support – Pfizer, Inc.
A.D.: Advisory board – Ignyta/Genentech/Roche, Loxo/Bayer/Lilly, Takeda/Ariad/Millenium, TP Therapeutics, AstraZeneca, Blueprint Medicines, Helsinn, Beigene, BergenBio, Hengrui Therapeutics, Exelixis, Tyra Biosciences, Verastem, MORE Health, Abbvie, 14ner/Elevation Oncology, Remedica Ltd, ArcherDX, Monopteros, Novartis, EMD Serono, Melendi, Repare RX, Pfizer, Liberum; Financial support – National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute, Pfizer, Exelixis, GlaxoSmithKline, Teva, Taiho, PharmaMar, Foundation Medicine, Medscape, OncLive, PeerVoice, Physicians Education Resources, Targeted Oncology, Research to Practice, Axis, Peerview Institute, Paradigm Medical Communications, WebMD, MJH Life Sciences, Med Learning, Imedex, Answers in CME, Medscape, Clinical Care Options; Royalties – Wolters Kluwer; Food and Beverage – Merck, Puma, Merus, Boehringer Ingelheim
B.T.L.: Financial support – BioMedValley Discoveries, National Institutes of Health, Genentech Roche, Guardant Health, Hengrui Therapeutics, Lilly, AstraZeneca, Daiichi Sankyo, Illumina, GRAIL, MORE Health, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bolt Biotherapeutics, Amgen; Nonfinancial support – MORE Health, Resolution Bioscience, Jiangsu Hengrui Medicine; Patent - US62/685,057, US62/514,661
G.I.: Financial support – Novartis, Mirati Therapeutics, Janssen, Basilea Therapeutica, Bayer, DeBioPharm, Seagen, Inc.
A.M.S.: Financial support – Merus, Kura Oncology, Surface Oncology, AstraZeneca, Lilly, Northern Biologics, Pfizer, Black Diamond Therapeutics, BeiGene, Relay Therapeutics
Supported by The Fund for Ophthalmic Knowledge, New York, New York; The New York Community Trust, New York, New York; Research to Prevent Blindness , Inc, New York, New York; and the National Cancer Institute , National Institutes of Health , Bethesda, Maryland ( Cancer Center Support Grant no.: P30 CA008748 ). The sponsor or funding organization had no role in the design or conduct of this research.
HUMAN SUBJECTS: Human subjects were included in this study. The human ethics committees at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center approved the study. All research adhered to the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki. All patients provided informed consent.
No animal subjects were included in this study.
Conception and design: Francis
Analysis and interpretation: Francis
Data collection: Francis, Haggag-Lindgren, Harding, Diamond, Drilon, Li, Gopakumar, Schram
Obtained funding: Abramson
Overall responsibility: Francis, Canestraro, Haggag-Lindgren, Harding, Diamond, Drilon, Li, Gopakumar, Schram, Abramson