Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:CFT (central foveal thickness), EIFL (ectopic inner foveal layer), ERM (epiretinal membrane), ILM (inner limiting membrane), IS/OS (inner segment/outer segment zone), logMAR (logarithm of the minimum angle of resolution), MP (membrane peeling), ONL (outer nuclear layer), PFCL (perfluorocarbon), PPV (pars plana vitrectomy), RD (rhegmatogenous retinal detachment), RPE (retinal pigment epithelium), SB (scleral buckle), VA (visual acuity)
- Epiretinal membranes after pars plana vitrectomy for primary pseudophakic or aphakic rhegmatogenous retinal detachment: incidence and outcomes.Retina. 2012; 32: 1350-1355
- Incidence and characteristics of macular pucker formation after primary retinal detachment repair by pars plana vitrectomy alone.Retina. 2008; 28: 744-748
- Prognostic factors of epiretinal membranes: a systematic review.J Fr Ophtalmol. 2017; 40: 61-79
- Deferral of surgery for epiretinal membranes: is it safe? Results of a randomised controlled trial.Br J Ophthalmol. 2016; 100: 688-692
- Predictive factors for postoperative visual acuity in idiopathic epiretinal membrane: a systematic review.Acta Ophthalmol. 2015; 93: 203-212
- Structural and functional predictors of visual outcome of epiretinal membrane surgery.Am J Ophthalmol. 2012; 153: 103-110.e1
- Spectral-domain optical coherence tomography for monitoring epiretinal membrane surgery.Ophthalmology. 2010; 117: 798-805
- The photoreceptor layer as a prognostic factor for visual acuity in the secondary epiretinal membrane after retinal detachment surgery: imaging analysis by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography.Am J Ophthalmol. 2011; 151: 973-980
- Insights into epiretinal membranes: presence of ectopic inner foveal layers and a new optical coherence tomography staging scheme.Am J Ophthalmol. 2017; 175: 99-113
- Functional and anatomical significance of the ectopic inner foveal layers in eyes with idiopathic epiretinal membranes: surgical results at 12 months.Retina. 2019; 39: 347-357
- Proposed lexicon for anatomic landmarks in normal posterior segment spectral-domain optical coherence tomography: the IN•OCT consensus.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 1572-1578
- Microcystoid macular changes in association with idiopathic epiretinal membranes in eyes with and without glaucoma: clinical insights.Am J Ophthalmol. 2017; 181: 156-165
- Visual outcomes and complications of epiretinal membrane removal secondary to rhegmatogenous retinal detachment.Ophthalmology. 2005; 112: 1218-1221
- Risk factors, onset, and progression of epiretinal membrane after 25-gauge pars plana vitrectomy for rhegmatogenous retinal detachment.Ophthalmol Retina. 2020; 4: 284-288
- Epiretinal membrane peeling after uncomplicated primary retinal detachment repair.Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2014; 45: 415-420
- Foveal microstructure and visual acuity after retinal detachment repair: imaging analysis by Fourier-domain optical coherence tomography.Ophthalmology. 2009; 116: 519-528
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Supplemental material available at www.ophthalmologyretina.org.
Disclosure(s): All authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE disclosures form.
The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s): A.E.K.: Advisory board - Alimera Sciences, Allergan, Bausch + Lomb, Genentech, Regeneron; Financial support - Genentech, Second Sight; Lecturer - Optos, Spark
J.H.: Financial support - Gyroscope Therapeutics, OccuRx, Aldeyra Therapeutics, Roche/Genentech, iVERICbio
S.J.G.: Financial support - Boehringer Ingelheim, NGM Bio, Regeneron, Allergan, Apellis, Kanaph, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Bausch and Lomb
HUMAN SUBJECTS: Human subjects were included in this study. The human ethics committees at Wills Eye Hospital approved the study. All research complied with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 and adhered to the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki. A waiver of informed consent was obtained by the institutional review board for this retrospective study.
No animal subjects were included in this study.
Conception and design: Soares, Patel, Hinkle, Garg, Khan
Analysis and interpretation: Soares, Salabati, Kuriyan, Hsu, Garg, Khan
Data collection: Soares, Mahmoudzadeh, Salabati, Massenzio, Israilevich, Khan
Obtained funding: N/A
Overall responsibility: Soares, Mahmoudzadeh, Kuriyan, Hsu, Garg, Khan