Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:AMD (age-related macular degeneration), CC (choriocapillaris), cRORA (complete retinal pigment epithelium and outer retinal atrophy), ER (enlargement rate), FD (flow deficit), GA (geographic atrophy), RPD (reticular pseudodrusen), RPE (retinal pigment epithelium), SD (standard deviation), SDD (subretinal drusenoid deposit), SD-OCTA (spectral domain OCT angiography), SS-OCTA (swept-source OCT angiography)
- Consensus definition for atrophy associated with age-related macular degeneration on OCT: classification of Atrophy Report 3.Ophthalmology. 2018; 125: 537-548
- Optical coherence tomography-defined changes preceding the development of drusen-associated atrophy in age-related macular degeneration.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 2415-2422
- Imaging protocols in clinical studies in advanced age-related macular degeneration: recommendations from Classification of Atrophy Consensus Meetings.Ophthalmology. 2017; 124: 464-478
- Spectral domain optical coherence tomography imaging of geographic atrophy margins.Ophthalmology. 2009; 116: 1762-1769
- Tracking progression with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in geographic atrophy caused by age-related macular degeneration.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010; 51: 3846-3852
- Predicting the progression of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration with SD-OCT en face imaging of the outer retina.Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2013; 44: 344-359
- Morphologic changes in patients with geographic atrophy assessed with a novel spectral OCT-SLO combination.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008; 49: 3095-3099
- Comparison of geographic atrophy measurements from the OCT fundus image and the sub-RPE slab image.Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2013; 44: 127-132
- Progression of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration imaged with spectral domain optical coherence tomography.Ophthalmology. 2011; 118: 679-686
- En face imaging of geographic atrophy using different swept-source optical coherence tomography scan patterns.Ophthalmol Retina. 2019; 2: 122-132
- Fully automated prediction of geographic atrophy growth using quantitative spectral-domain optical coherence tomography biomarkers.Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 1737-1750
- Choriocapillaris and choroidal microvasculature imaging with ultrahigh speed OCT angiography.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e81499
- Ultrahigh-speed, swept-source optical coherence tomography angiography in nonexudative age-related macular degeneration with geographic atrophy.Ophthalmology. 2015; 122: 2532-2544
- Ultrahigh speed swept source optical coherence tomography angiography of retinal and choriocapillaris alterations in diabetic patients with and without retinopathy.Retina. 2017; 37: 11-21
- Adaptive optics optical coherence tomography angiography for morphometric analysis of choriocapillaris [Invited].Biomed Opt Express. 2017; 8: 1803-1822
- Choriocapillaris loss in advanced age-related macular degeneration.J Ophthalmol. 2018; 2018: 8125267
- Ultrahigh-speed swept-source OCT angiography in exudative AMD.Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2014; 45: 496-505
- Optical coherence tomography angiography of dry age-related macular degeneration.Dev Ophthalmol. 2016; 56: 91-100
- Imaging of the human choroid with a 1.7 MHz A-scan rate FDML swept source OCT system.Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng. 2017; : 10045
- The progression of geographic atrophy secondary to age-related macular degeneration.Ophthalmology. 2018; 125: 369-390
- Optical coherence tomography angiography in geographic atrophy.Retina. 2018; 38: 2350-2355
- Choriocapillaris layer imaging with swept-source optical coherence tomography angiography in lamellar and full-thickness macular hole.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2018; 256: 11-21
- Topographical analysis of the choriocapillaris in intermediate age-related macular degeneration.Am J Ophthalmol. 2018; 196: 34-43
- Visualizing the choriocapillaris under drusen: comparing 1050-nm swept-source versus 840-nm spectral-domain optical coherence tomography angiography.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016; 57: OCT585-590
- Swept-source optical coherence tomography angiography reveals choriocapillaris alterations in eyes with nascent geographic atrophy and drusen-associated geographic atrophy.Retina. 2016; 36: S2-S11
- Choriocapillaris impairment around the atrophic lesions in patients with geographic atrophy: a swept-source optical coherence tomography angiography study.Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 Aug 21; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Automated quantitation of choroidal neovascularization: a comparison study between spectral-domain and swept-source OCT Angiograms.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017; 58: 1506-1513
- A novel strategy for quantifying choriocapillaris flow voids using swept-source OCT angiography.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018; 59: 203-211
- Minimizing projection artifacts for accurate presentation of choroidal neovascularization in OCT micro-angiography.Biomed Opt Express. 2015; 6: 4130-4143
- Methods and algorithms for optical coherence tomography-based angiography: a review and comparison.J Biomed Opt. 2015; 20: 100901
- Optical coherence tomography angiography of the foveal microvasculature in geographic atrophy.Retina. 2017; 37: 936-942
- Optical coherence tomography angiography of asymptomatic neovascularization in intermediate age-related macular degeneration.Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 1309-1319
- Natural history of subclinical neovascularization in nonexudative age-related macular degeneration using swept-source OCT angiography.Ophthalmology. 2018; 125: 255-266
- Accessed August 2018)
- Choroidal thickness and choroidal vessel density in nonexudative age-related macular degeneration using swept-source optical coherence tomography imaging.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016; 57: 6256-6264
- Accurate estimation of choriocapillaris flow deficits beyond normal intercapillary spacing with swept source OCT angiography.Quant Imaging Med Surg. 2018; 8: 658-666
- Age-dependent changes in the macular choriocapillaris of normal eyes imaged with swept-source OCT angiography.Am J Ophthalmol. 2019; 200: 110-122
- Morphometric analysis of Bruch’s membrane, the choriocapillaris, and the choroid in aging.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1994; 35: 2857-2864
- Relationship between RPE and choriocapillaris in age-related macular degeneration.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009; 50: 4982-4991
- Choriocapillaris breakdown precedes retinal degeneration in age-related macular degeneration.Neurobiol Aging. 2014; 35: 2562-2573
- Choriocapillaris nonperfusion is associated with poor visual acuity in eyes with reticular pseudodrusen.Am J Ophthalmol. 2017; 174: 42-55
- Comparison between widefield en face swept-source OCT and conventional multimodal imaging for the detection of reticular pseudodrusen.Ophthalmology. 2017; 124: 205-214
- Systemic complement inhibition with eculizumab for geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration: the COMPLETE study.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 693-701
Research supported by grants from Carl Zeiss Meditec , Inc (Dublin, CA), National Eye Institute ( R01EY024158 , R01EY028753 ), and the Salah Foundation (Ft. Lauderdale, FL); an unrestricted grant from the Research to Prevent Blindness , Inc (New York, NY); and the National Eye Institute Center Core Grant ( P30EY014801 ) to the Department of Ophthalmology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. The funding organization had no role in the design or conduct of this research.
Financial Disclosure(s): The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s): G.G.: Research support -- Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc; Patent licensed to Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc (with University of Miami).
P.J.R.: Research support -- Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc, Genentech; Consultant -- Achillion Pharmaceuticals, Acucela, Apellis, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Carl Zeiss Meditec, Chengdu Kanghong Biotech, Ocunexus Therapeutics, Genentech, Healios K.K, Hemera Biosciences, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Isarna Pharmaceuticals, Lin Bioscience, MacRegen Inc., NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Ocunexus, Ocudyne, Unity Biotechnology; Equity-- Apellis, Digisight, Ocudyne.
R.K.W.: Research support – Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc, Tasso Inc; Consultant -- Carl Zeiss Meditec Inc, Insight Photonic Solutions, Kowa; Intellectual property -- the Oregon Health and Science University and the University of Washington related to OCT angiography, and licensed to commercial entities, which are related to the technology and analysis methods described in parts of this manuscript.
L.d.S.: Employee -- Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc.
M.K.D.: Employee- Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc.
Conception and design: Thulliez, Zhang, Chu, Gregori, Rosenfeld
Analysis and interpretation: Thulliez, Zhang, Shi, Zhou, Chu, de Sisternes, Durbin, Feuer, Gregori, Wang, Rosenfeld
Data collection: Thulliez, Gregori, Rosenfeld
Obtained funding: N/A
Overall responsibility: Thulliez, Zhang, Shi, Chu, de Sisternes, Durbin, Feuer, Gregori, Wang, Rosenfeld
HUMAN SUBJECTS: Human subjects were included in this study. The human ethics committees at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine approved the study. All research adhered to the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki and compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. All participants provided informed consent.
No animal subjects were used in this study.