Precis: This population-based analysis of anti-VEGF use in patients with diabetic macular edema demonstrates that patients on average receive fewer injections over 12 months and have meaningfully worse visual acuity outcomes compared to randomized controlled trials.
Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:anti-VEGF (antievascular endothelial growth factor), B (bevacizumab), BCVA (best-corrected visual acuity), DRCR (Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network), ERM (epiretinal membrane), ETDRS (Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study), OCT (optical coherence tomography), PDR (proliferative diabetic retinopathy), R (ranibizumab), RIDE (A Study of Ranibizumab Injection in Participants with Clinically Significant Macular Edema with Center Involvement Secondary to Diabetes Mellitus), RISE (A Study of Ranibizumab Injection in Participants with Clinical Significant Macular Edema with Center Involvement Secondary to Diabetes Mellitus), VA (visual acuity), VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor), VISTA (Study of Intravitreal Aflibercept Injection in Patients with Diabetic Macular Edema), VIVID (Intravitreal Aflibercept Injection in Vision Impairment Due to Diabetic Macular Edema), VMT (vitreomacular traction)
- Diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema: pathophysiology, screening, and novel therapies.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: 2653-2664
- Photocoagulation for diabetic macular edema. Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study report number 1.Arch Ophthalmol. 1985; 103: 1796-1806
- Etiology and natural history of diabetic retinopathy: an overview.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2007; 64: S3-S7
- Anti-vascular endothelial growth factor therapy for diabetic macular edema.Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 4: 151-169
- Randomized trial evaluating ranibizumab plus prompt or deferred laser or triamcinolone plus prompt laser for diabetic macular edema.Ophthalmology. 2010; 117 (e35): 1064-1077
- Ranibizumab for edema of the macula in diabetes study: 3-year outcomes and the need for prolonged frequent treatment.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013; 131: 139-145
- Intravitreal ranibizumab for diabetic macular edema with prompt versus deferred laser treatment: three-year randomized trial results.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 2312-2318
- Intravitreal ranibizumab for diabetic macular edema with prompt versus deferred laser treatment: 5-year randomized trial results.Ophthalmology. 2015; 122: 375-381
- Two-year outcomes of the ranibizumab for edema of the macula in diabetes (READ-2) study.Ophthalmology. 2010; 117: 2146-2151
- A prospective randomized trial of intravitreal bevacizumab or laser therapy in the management of diabetic macular edema (BOLT study) 12-month data: report 2.Ophthalmology. 2010; 117 (e2): 1078-1086
- A 2-year prospective randomized controlled trial of intravitreal bevacizumab or laser therapy (BOLT) in the management of diabetic macular edema: 24-month data: report 3.Arch Ophthalmol. 2012; 130: 972-979
- Intravitreal aflibercept for diabetic macular edema.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 2247-2254
- Ranibizumab for diabetic macular edema: results from 2 phase III randomized trials: RISE and RIDE.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 789-801
- Stone T. ASRS 2016 Preferences and Trends Membership Survey. American Society of Retina Specialists, Chicago, IL2016
- Aflibercept, bevacizumab, or ranibizumab for diabetic macular edema: two-year results from a comparative effectiveness randomized clinical trial.Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 1351-1359
- Clinical utilization of anti-vascular endothelial growth-factor agents and patient monitoring in retinal vein occlusion and diabetic macular edema.Clin Ophthalmol. 2014; 8: 1611-1621
- Anti-VEGF treatment of diabetic macular edema in clinical practice: effectiveness and patterns of use (ECHO Study Report 1).Clin Ophthalmol. 2017; 11: 393-401
- Trends in the care of diabetic macular edema: analysis of a national cohort.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0149450
- Novel method for analyzing Snellen visual acuity measurements.Retina. 2010; 30: 1046-1050
- Real-world outcomes of anti–vascular endothelial growth factor therapy in neovascular age-related macular degeneration in the United States.Ophthalmol Retina. 2018; (In press)
- Vitreoretinal interface abnormalities in diabetic macular edema and effectiveness of anti-VEGF therapy: an optical coherence tomography study.Clin Ophthalmol. 2017; 11: 1995-2002
- Incidence of cataract surgery in the Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy.Am J Ophthalmol. 1995; 119: 295-300
- Four-year treatment results of neovascular age-related macular degeneration with ranibizumab and causes for discontinuation of treatment.Am J Ophthalmol. 2013; 155 (e3): 89-95
- A 4-year longitudinal study of 555 patients treated with ranibizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration.Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 2630-2636
- First-year visual acuity outcomes in the United Kingdom of providing aflibercept according to the VIEW Study protocol for age-related macular degeneration.Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 337-343
- Association of treatment adherence with real-life VA outcomes in AMD, DME, and BRVO patients.Clin Ophthalmol. 2018; 12: 13-20
- Aflibercept, bevacizumab, or ranibizumab for diabetic macular edema.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1193-1203
Financial Disclosures: The authors made the following disclosures: J.P.: Cofounder — Vestrum Health.
D.F.W.: Cofounder — Vestrum Health.
Conception and design: Ciulla, Bracha, Pollack, Williams
Analysis and interpretation: Ciulla, Bracha, Pollack, Williams
Data collection: Ciulla, Bracha, Pollack, Williams
Obtained funding: N/A
Overall responsibility: Ciulla, Bracha, Pollack, Williams
HUMAN SUBJECTS: No human subjects were used in this study. This project was considered exempt from institutional review board review, as the research involved only the collection of existing data, which had been de-identified.
No animal subjects were used in this study.