Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:BCVA (best-corrected visual acuity), CF (counting fingers), logMAR (logarithm of the minimum angle of resolution), PVD (posterior vitreous detachment), VA (visual acuity)
- Incidence, risk factors, and impact of age on retinal detachment after cataract surgery in France.Ophthalmology. 2015; 122: 2179-2185
- Pseuodophakic retinal detachment.Surv Ophthalmol. 2003; 48: 467-487
- Risk factors for retinal detachment following cataract surgery.Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2012; 23: 7-11
- Whole population trends in complications of cataract surgery over 22 years in Western Australia.Ophthalmology. 2011; 118: 1055-1061
- Risk for retinal detachment after phacoemulsification. A whole-population study of cataract surgery outcomes.Arch Ophthalmol. 2012; 130: 882-888
- The changing pattern of cataract surgery indications: a 5-year study of 2 cataract surgery data bases.Ophthalmology. 2015; 122: 31-38
- Posterior vitreous detachment and retinal detachment following cataract extraction.Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2008; 19: 239-242
- Risk of retinal detachment after cataract surgery extraction, 1980-2004: a population-based study.Ophthalmology. 2006; 113: 2026-2032
Statistics Sweden (SCB). Population demographics in Sweden. www.scb.se search characteristics: Population / Population statistics / Number of inhabitants / Population by region, marital status, age and sex. Year 1968–2016. Accessed April 28, 2017.
- The impact of cataract surgery on low vision patients.Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 1997; 75: 569-576
- Cataract extraction after retinal detachment surgery.Ophthalmology. 1988; 95: 3-7
- Extracapsular cataract extraction with intraocular lens implantation after scleral buckling surgery.Am J Ophthalmol. 1991; 111: 174-178
- Phacoemulsification after retinal detachment surgery.Ophthalmology. 1996; 103: 216-219
- Phacoemulsification and lens implantation after scleral buckling surgery.Am J Ophthalmol. 2000; 129: 286-290
- Phacoemulsification and intraocular lens implantation after scleral buckling surgery.Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi. 2003; 39 ([abstract; article in Chinese]): 91-93
- Pathology and pathogenesis of retinal detachment.Eye. 2002; 16: 411-421
- Incidence of posterior vitreous detachment in the elderly.Ophthalmologe. 1997; 94 ([abstract; article in German]): 619-623
- Posterior vitreous detachment and retinal detachment after cataract surgery.Ophthalmology. 2007; 114: 692-697
- Time course of development of posterior vitreous detachments after phacoemulsification surgery.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 2102-2107
- Male sex a risk factor for pseudophakic retinal detachment after cataract extraction in Taiwanese adults.Ophthalmology. 2007; 114: 1898-1903
- Cataract surgery from a gender perspective – a population based study in Sweden.Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 1998; 76: 711-716
Financial support: Grants from the Västerbotten County Council Research Fund, Umeå, Sweden, and the Swedish Government (“Agreement concerning Research and Education of Doctors” ALF), Stockholm, Sweden, are acknowledged. The funding organizations had no role in the design or conduct of this research.
Conflict of interest: No conflicting relationship exists for any author.
Research design: Mönestam
Data analysis and/or interpretation: Forsell, Mönestam
Data acquisition and/or research execution: Forsell
Manuscript preparation: Forsell, Mönestam
Human Subjects: This study includes human subject/tissues. Study protocol was approved by IRB. Informed consent was obtained from all human subjects. All tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki were followed.